Presented by the
Washington Thoroughbred Foundation,
Washington Thoroughbred Breeders & Owners Association
and Emerald Downs
Horse and a Whole Lot More
2016 AWARD WINNERS
MEET THE JUDGES for Equine Art 2016
Equine Art 2017 Prospectus (PDF)
Equine Art 2017 Entry Form PDF)
Equine Art 2017 Entry Form via PayPal)
ABOUT EQUINE ART 2017
The purpose of the show is to encourage equine artists
and to support the arts, in general, as an integral part of all horse-related
sports. The annual art show has garnered recognition since its inception in 1980 at the WTBOA Sales Pavilion at Longacres. In 2017, we celebrate our 18th year of continued growth and
success at Emerald Downs.
The show offers over
$6,000 in prize money, $750 of which is dedicated to youth categories. It is
judged by a respected panel of distinguished artists and/or other knowledgeable
The art show is presented under the
auspices of the Washington Thoroughbred Foundation (WTF), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
organization, and as such, all sponsorships and/or other donations made to the
art show are tax-deductible.
2017 DATES TO REMEMBER
mailed and available online
Tuesday, July 11
SHIPPED ART DUE
Must be RECEIVED BY this date
at Emerald Downs
(No art accepted prior to Wednesday, July 5)
Wednesday, July 12, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
HAND-DELIVERED ART ACCEPTED
Emerald Downs track level, THIS DAY ONLY
Thursday, July 13
Judging takes place
Preview party and reception, 7 p.m.
Friday, July 14 - Sunday, July 16
Open for viewing and sales, Emerald Downs track level
Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Sunday 11:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 16, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Downs track level
Monday, July 17
Remaining non-shipped art pick up, Emerald
Downs administrative offices, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Return of shipped artwork begins this
Friday, July 28
retrieved becomes the property of the Equine Art Committee.
The only criterion for each piece is that it capture the
elements or essence of the horse, horse racing (but not limited to), the horse
industry at large and/or all that surrounds the horse the horse
and a whole lot more.
Only original equine fine art produced by the entering
individual will be accepted. No prints, giclées or other
reproductions, except for photography/digital and
sculpture, will be accepted. No copies or derivatives; work cannot be based on copyrighted or previously published materials.
Entries must be finished pieces, wired for hanging, and all paint, varnish,
etc. must be dry. No exceptions.
Pieces that have previously been entered in the Equine Art Show
are NOT eligible.
The Equine Art Committee has the final authority on category assignment.
The Equine Art Committee reserves the right to accept or reject
any piece at its discretion. The WTF, WTBOA, Emerald Downs and the
Equine Art Committee do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability,
race, color, national or ethnic origin in any of their programs or
- Maximum size for two-dimensional art is 48" x 48" including
frame. Maximum weight is 25 pounds.
- All two-dimensional art (all age categories) must be WIRED FOR HANGING. NO SAW-TOOTH HANGERS. ITEMS NOT PROPERLY WIRED WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE
SHOW. Please inquire if you have questions.
- Maximum size for three-dimensional art is 36" x 36" x 36".
Maximum weight 40 pounds. Larger items must
receive approval by the Equine Art Committee prior to entry.
- All entries will be examined for compliance upon arrival.
ELIGIBILITY AND FEES
- Adult $30 first piece, $20 each entry thereafter
- Intermediate (13 to 18 years) $20 first piece, $15 each
- Pre-Teen (8 to 12 years) FREE
- Children (7 years and under) FREE
- Limited to three (3) entries per artist.
- Payment (US funds) must accompany entry to be valid.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- CDs, DVDs or other
representation(s) of your artwork prior to delivery date are not necessary.
- EARLY ENTRY IS ADVISED TO GUARANTEE YOUR ENTRY IN THE
SHOW. The show is limited to 200 pieces total on a first come, first
served basis. For early entry, send your completed entry form and
payment to: Equine Art 2017, 3220 Ron Crockett Dr. NW, Auburn, WA 98001 (checks
payable to WTF).
- HAND-DELIVERED entries accepted on WEDNESDAY, JULY 12, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
ONLY - NO EXCEPTIONS, Emerald Downs track level.
- SHIPPED PIECES must ARRIVE BY (not post-marked
by) TUESDAY, JULY 11, but should not arrive prior to Wednesday, July 5.
DELIVERY AND PICKUP
- Artwork must remain on exhibit
until the close of racing on Sunday, July 16.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pickup, including
return postage, insurance (if desired) and packaging for mailed pieces (see
- Pick up your entry on Sunday, July 16, between
6:30 and 8 p.m. at Emerald Downs.
- Any remaining items can be picked up at Emerald Downs
administrative offices after 9 a.m. on the Monday following the show.
- Any art not retrieved by Friday, July 28, becomes the property
of the Equine Art Committee.
- Please DO NOT use shipping peanuts. Bubble wrap (or
foam for 3D art) are acceptable means of protection.
- Pack each piece separately. We will make every effort to
re-use the packaging in which the piece(s) arrive. If your artwork is sold and
needs to be shipped, we will ship it in its original container to the
- Please make sure the return shipping address is legible on
outside of package.
- UPS is the preferred method of shipping.
- You will be invoiced for actual shipping and insurance
costs.* The Equine Art Committee expects to be reimbursed promptly. Your
cooperation is appreciated.
- The return of any artwork requiring shipping will be
coordinated by the Equine Art Committee by no later than Friday, July 28.
is suggested that all artwork be insured by the artist while it is in transit
to and from Emerald Downs. Every precaution will be taken to see that no
harm occurs to the entries. The WTF, WTBOA, Emerald Downs and/or
the Equine Art Committee are not responsible for loss or damage from any cause.
The insured value is normally 65% of the retail
price. This is suggested information; the method for determining an insured
value is up to you.
*The Equine Art
Committee will automatically insure return-shipped pieces at 50% of the sale
price listed on the entry form unless otherwise instructed.
retail price must accompany all entries. A 20% commission will be charged on
all sold art, including purchase awards.
Every effort will be made to
encourage sales, but it is strongly suggested that artists have their work priced to sell.
Work which is sold will remain
on display until the close of the show. All sales during the run of the show
will be handled by the Equine Art Committee.
you or someone else affiliated with you sells your artwork as a result of it
being entered in the show, a 20% commission will be expected.
PRICING YOUR ARTWORK
We will accept art valued at any price. We have found
from past sales that some highly priced work does sell. Generally, the work that is priced under $1,000 sells the best. When determining the
selling price of your artwork, you should consider including the cost of
insurance, shipping and packaging in your asking price.
In 2016, cash prizes were given
in the categories listed below. The Equine Art Committee thanks the sponsors
who made these awards possible.
- Stanley A. Gillman Memorial Best in Show Award
- Morrie and Joan Alhadeff Purchase Award
- Angie Crockett Memorial Purchase Award in Celebration of Emerald Downs' 20th Anniversary
- Pat Hallowell Memorial Publication Award
- Equine Art Purse Trophy Purchase Award in Memory of Vivian F.
- The Campbell Award for Oil
- Dr. Donald & Beverly Turner and Phil & Sarah Saitta Award for Acrylic
- Vivian F. McMurry Memorial Award for Watercolor
- Doctor Pav Award for Mixed Media
- Jean G. Barclay Memorial Award for Pastel & Drawing
- Oak Crest Farm (Jack & Theresa Hodge) Award for Sculpture
- David L. Parks Memorial Award for Objet dArt
- A-One Ornamental Ironworks Inc.(Gordy Jarnig & Connie LeBrie) Award for Digital Art
- Makors Finale Award for Photography in Memory of Duane Hamamura
- El Dorado Farms Intermediate Division Award (ages 13 to 18
- Griffin Place Pre-teen & Childrens Division Award (If
warranted by enough entries, this category will be broken into two categories
the childrens category for ages seven and under and the pre-teen
category for ages eight to 12)
- Equine Art Committee Poster Award
- People's Choice Award
The committee anticipates similar award
categories and cash prizes for 2017. However, we reserve the right to separate
or combine categories or not to place awards if there is insufficient
participation in any category.
|Artists are invited to submit one 8 1/2” x 11” typewritten page, which may include
biographical information; a photo (optional); an artist’s statement, if
desired, explaining your interest or involvement in art or equine art; and/or
contact information. These will be made available to the public in a three-ring
binder. Because of space limitations, we cannot accept or
display business cards or other promotional materials.
EQUINE ART 2017 PROSPECTUS (PDF)
EQUINE ART 2017 ENTRY FORM (PDF)
EQUINE ART 2017 ENTRY FORM (via PayPal)
If you need additional or more information, please
Phone: (253) 288-7878
Fax: (253) 288-7890
Send ENTRY FORMS and
Make checks payable
Equine Art 2017
3220 Ron Crockett Dr. NW
Auburn, WA 98001
SHIPPING ADDRESS (for ART ONLY):
Send entry forms and fees separately to address shown above
See “Delivery and Pickup” and
“Shipping” sections for more information
2300 Ron Crockett Dr. NW
Auburn, WA 98001